Thursday, May 29, 2008


In the past two weeks Christopher has had a couple of big events take place.

It all started with his transition to cotton diapers. Around the time he turned 3 weeks, we started using the BumGenius cotton diapers on Chris. So far so good. If you haven't seen these diapers before, you should check them out. Aunt Jan introduced them to us, and trust me, they aren't the diapers your mom used on you. First of all, there isn't folding, there aren't saftey pins, there isn't any soaking, and there certainly aren't any plastic covers. This is an all-in-one diaper that will go from 7 to 35 lbs - basically until he's potty trained. Check out the picture below.

They are just like regular disposable diapers. They have and wicking material that pulls any moisture to an insertable pad. The exterior material locks in all liquids (and solids) so there aren't leaks. They also velcro just like a disposable. The best part is that they are adjustable. Un-snap it in a couple of places and you move up in size. Plus - what kid wouldn't want to be stylin' a neon green diaper? He'll be the coolest kid in the sandbox. Once used, place it in a pail (no pre-soaking required) and when ready, remove the insert and place all items in the washing machine. Stains? not a problem... Place the diaper in the sun for four hours and VIOLA! a vibrant white.
It's a little cost up front, $17.95 a diaper, but in the long run you we'll save a couple THOUSAND dollars in disposable diapers. I'm willing to pay the cost up front. Aunt Jan and Gramma Pat helped us with the first 15, and we got another dozen ourselves. It's just the right amount to cycle through.

He's doing well with them. We struggled with a couple of leaks at first, but it took us a while to get them to fit properly. Once we figured it out we haven't had a problem since. Please check out the picture of Mr. Handsome himself. He's no Calvin Klein model, but close.
Oh -did I mention how great these are for the environment? No more disposables filling up the landfill.

Christopher also crossed a hurdle this weekend, or a couple of states anyway. He went on his first road trip. We went to visit my parents at their farm in Kentucky so Chris could spend time with them and his three great-grandparents. All three of them were tickled pink to see him. We ended up renting a small SUV for the trip. It was a killer on gas, but it was the only way we could take the dogs. It ended up being cheaper to rent a car than to board the dogs. Looks like we're going to need to invest in another car in the next few years. Something that will allow us to travel with the whole family. We arrived pretty late on Saturday night. Chris did really well during the four hour trip. He got a little cranky near the end, but I would too if I was stuck in a carseat for four hours. It couldn't have been comfortable.

He met his MiMi (Great-Gramma Pat) and Great-Grampa Deck first. They were thrilled. Grampa had been counting the days until we arrived. They made a special effort to stay up late until we got there. Great-Granma Marian was the next to meet him. She offered her master bedroom to Brian and I during our stay. Chris' Pop Pop and Dodi came over to Granma Marian's while we got things organized. Everyone took turns holding him. It was obvious Brian and I wouldn't see our child for the next two days.

The next day was filled with ooohs and ahhhs. I think everyone got a chance to feed him, but for some reason no one except for Dodi offered to change him.
He did surprizingly well with all the dogs. Although some of them had been relocated downstairs or to the kennels during our stay.

Before to long it was Monday morning and time to go. We knew it was a short trip, but it was the only time we could go and we really wanted to him to meet his great-grandparents before he started to get too big. We will be sure to make more visits soon, and hopefully longer ones.

After returning to St. Louis we got back to child care hunting. We've made a few home visits so far and believe we may have found the right place. He'll only need to go to daycare one day a week this summer. Brian is off on Mondays and I'll work from home on Fridays. Plus Aunt Jan will be watching him two days a week during her summer break. It's hard to believe that I'll be returning to work in two weeks. I'm anxious to get back to work, but at the same time I hate to be missing out on his early months. I guess we'll just have to take one day at a time and enjoy every minute we spend with him, regardless of the fact that it may be 3 o'clock in the morning.
We'll be keeping you up to date on his home day care situation and all the things we are looking forward to, such as his first giggle and rolling over for the first time. Before we know it, we'll be talking about how fast he can crawl. Until then...

No comments:

Post a Comment