Monday, September 28, 2009


Autumn. September. Month 17. Fall. Five days from hell. Oh no, I'm not being over dramatic. I know, I know, I normally am. But I swear to you, September 2009 will be known for the five days from hell.
As you probably read in the post below, Christopher had Roseola. Which we didn't know until after it was gone. But for five days he not only had a fever spiking constantly over 103, but he also refused to eat or drink. It's not so easy to make a child drink when they don't want to. Trust me. But of course everyone says "make sure he gets plenty of fluids." I say again, not that easy.

Christopher was absolutely miserable. And therefore Brian and I were both miserable. There was nothing we could do to make him happy. The only thing that kept him from crying was Sesame Street. -Which we'll get to in a minute. But at the time Christopher didn't want to do anything but have you hold him. Which meant you were stuck on the coach for 16 hours holding him, rocking him, and rubbing his back. Oh sure, it seems sweet. Holding your baby for hours on end. But not after the fourth day. If I wasn't being clear enough, you couldn't do ANYTHING but lay on the couch and hold him. He refused to go in his crib during nap time, he practically slept all day anyway. And don't even think about getting up to go to the bathroom.
I took him in on the third day to see the doctor. "Oh, it's just a virus. Go home and give him some more Motrin. It has to work his way out of the system." I never wanted to hurt another human being as much as I did my doctor on that day. Did he not hear a single word I said??? I wanted to drown myself in Motrin.

Well by day five Christopher was perking up and was actually eating a little. Around 8 p.m. His fever suddenly disappeared. I mean it went straight from 103.4 to 98.6 in an instant. It was the strangest thing I had ever witnessed. Hallelujah all my prayers had been answered. How many times had I wished, hoped, begged that this stupid virus would end. So that night Christopher went to bed for the first night, without any Children's Motrin.
Sunday morning, I got up and headed to my cinema club - cursing. Of course the one day Brian is home from work Christopher feels fine. No fever, no crankiness, and would you look at that he's eating and drinking. I honestly would have enjoyed my movie much more if I had known that Brian would be dealing with a sick child. A little taste of what I had gone through. Sorry babe, sounds bad but it's true.

When I got home from the movies and a little bit of shopping, I found Brian and Christopher asleep on the couch. When Christopher woke up I noticed some redness on his face. I could see it behind his ears and running down the back of his neck. When I lifted up his shirt I gasped. His entire torso was covered in hives. But it didn't just stop there, it was all over his arms and down his legs. At first I thought it was an allergic reaction to food. I tried to replay in my mind what he had to eat that day, but it was all things he had eaten before.
After a few hysterical calls to my mother and a pediatric nurse at the hospital, I came to find out that Christopher had Infantrum Roseola. A virus that causes all the symptoms Christopher had including a rash that lasted for 48 to 72 hours. And sure enough it did. I have to say it was difficult to look at the poor boy. He was actually doing much better physically since he had the fever. He seemed back to his normal self. Except for this horrible rash. But as the nurse said, in about two and a half days it disappeared altogether. I think it was the following Tuesday, a week after this all started, that it finally caught up with me. I could have slept for a month if you had let me. I hope I never have to deal with that sort of thing again. But I also have a feeling that it comes with the territory. I didn't sign on to being a mom and not expect the worst along with the best. I just hope it takes another year or two before Christopher is sick again. That's a reasonable request right?

At least I know now that even if Christopher is sick, there is always Sesame Street. What's so special about Sesame Street? No, I'm asking you, what's so special about Sesame Street? There could be a herd of elephants running through the living room when the opening credits start for Sesame Street and Christopher would run straight through the stampede to sit on his cushion and follow along with Big Bird, Elmo and Grover.
You can snap your fingers in front of the boys face and you will get no reaction. The only time he moves a solitary inch is to stand up and dance during "Elmo's World". Then he sits back down, almost militarily and continues to watch the broadcast. It is the strangest phenomenon I have ever witnessed. He doesn't even notice when a cat crawls onto his lap. (See picture below) I'm not saying it doesn't come in handy when I need to put a new load of clothes in the dryer, or when I need to empty the dishwasher. But I truly believe my child is being sucked into another universe. Once Elmo's sings the goodbye song and they tell you "Sesame Street was brought to you today by the letter 'H'", Christopher stands up and walks out of the room to continue with whatever he was doing before the show started.

I've heard of kids being obsessed with the show. But I had no idea it was this bad. Christopher now wants everything to be about Elmo. Elmo books, Elmo toys, Elmo food. He can spot Elmo in the toy section of Target when we are 15 isles away. They must be sending subliminal messages during Big Bird's story time because I just don't get it.
For all my fellow new moms out there: Beware. The Sesame Street Induced Coma is real. And it's coming for your child.
Other that getting a few new teeth and growing out of our cotton diapers the only other thing going on with Christopher this month is his nose. Mmmhmm. His nose. I didn't really know this was a milestone to hit, but my mother assures me it is. While my mom was visiting this past week Christopher had quite an event. Well two actually. The first occurred when he was laughing during dinner and milk came out of his nose. Now I wasn't around for this particular right of passage, but Brian says it was a sight to see.

I was however present for the second item that came out of his nose. It was only two days after his milk incident when Christopher developed a runny nose. I had been chasing after him all day with tissues and it wasn't until he was sitting down watching Sesame Street when I looked over and saw a booger. Like any mom (at least I hope) I reached over to get it - figuring he won't care what I do to him while he's watching Oscar the Grouch. After multiple efforts, and several tissues later I finally realized it wasn't a booger. It was cottage cheese. Yup. You heard me. The boy had cottage cheese come out of his nose. Thank goodness he had cottage cheese for a snack an hour prior to this incident or I'd be very worried.
But really. No where in my Mommy Handbook did it tell me that strange things would be coming out of my son's nose. I only fear for my sister. Beth told me last Christmas that she loves babies, she just can't handle a runny nose. Well I'm hear to tell you, there are many more things worse than a runny nose. Prepare yourself.

And with that wonderful image left burning in your head, I'm going to sign off. It's been a difficult and interesting month, but another month just the same. I'm looking forward to updating the pictures on the right hand side of this page next month when our little baby turns 18 months. (one and a half for those of you who are bad at math.) He's getting so big. Who am I kidding? He started out big.
Adios Amigos!

1 comment:

  1. I love how Christopher and Lily are BFFs! The pics are too cute! Oh, joy how I look forward to Elmo and the gang!