It's no secret that Brian (Dadda) has allergic reactions to mosquito bites. Well, everyone does really but Brian is an exception to the rule. He gets welts from mosquito bites. And he was nice enough to pass it on to our children.
On Memorial Day weekend we decided to fire up the grill and eat dinner outside on the patio. Big mistake. The mosquitoes were atrocious that night but we had prepared and lathered ourselves and the kids in bug repellent. Didn't matter. We were eaten alive.
Just when I was about to take a bite out of my hamburger, I looked over and saw one of those skeeters on Carter's left eye. The infamous left eye. The one that was bruised only eight weeks ago. The same eye that needed five stitches only six weeks ago. I swatted the mosquito away quickly and thought nothing more of it. It had only been there for a second. Well, that was one second too long. This is what we woke up to the next morning:
Oh, it gets worse, don't you worry... Keep scrolling. We gave him some Benadryl before nap time hoping in would stop the inflammation. No such luck. After a nap, we woke Carter up to find this:
And off to the ER we go! But after driving half way to the hospital, I decided that was a stupid idea. 1) I don't want to get slammed another ER bill when we hadn't finished off paying the last one. 2) Who takes their kid to the ER for a mosquito bite? I mean, seriously. So it was off to the Urgent Care Clinic!
The doc loaded him up with some steroids and sent us home. If it wasn't better in three days, we should come back. Nice! So when we got home at dinner time it looked like this:
Now, I must say, that was the worst of it. The steroids did their job and the swelling went down significantly the next day.
I still laugh every time I look at these pictures. Not so much because of the way he looks but because only this family has to take something as simple as a mosquito bite and turn it into something of such grandeur!